DELICIOUSLY SIMPLE RECIPES.
Experience polenta in a whole new way by serving it topped with a mixture of cooked Jimmy Dean® Pork Sausage, mushrooms and onions. Crumbled feta cheese and toasted chopped pecans add the perfect finishing touch.
- 1 pkg. (17 ounces) prepared polenta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1½ cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Regular Flavor Pork Sausage Roll, cooked, crumbled, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves (optional)
- ¾ cup crumble feta or goat cheese
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. Slice ends off polenta; discard. Cut remaining polenta into 12 slices.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add polenta slices, in batches; cook 14-16 minutes or until golden brown, turning after 8 minutes. Remove from skillet; drain on paper towels.
3. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 8-10 minutes or until broth is reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in sausage and sage, if desired.
4. Arrange 2 polenta slices on each of 6 serving plates. Top with sausage mixture, cheese and pecans.
Cook’s Tips: To toast pecans, spread nuts in single layer on baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 5-7 min. or until lightly toasted. Customize this dish by using your favorite fresh mushrooms, such as button, baby portobello or shiitake.
Makes: 6 servings (2 topped polenta slices each)